Do you feel that you tend to put everyone else's happiness before your own? Your happiness is a vital part of your personal development and has knock-on effects and benefits. These include us becoming feeling healthier and becoming more compassionate. Happiness helps you to become more creative, and energetic. Additionally, it can lead us to become more financially successful.
Having a bad day? Here are 30 of the world’s happiest facts to put a smile on your face.
1. If you pretend to laugh for long enough, you’ll soon find yourself laughing for real.
2. Thanks to squirrels regularly forgetting where they buried their nuts, millions of new trees are able to grow each year.
3. The Beatles used the word ‘LOVE’ 613 times throughout their careers.
4. When we cuddle, our bodies release Oxytocin – which is great for speeding up the healing of physical wounds.
5. Penguins choose a single mate for life. They ‘propose’ by offering their mate a pebble.
6. We are all made of star-dust. That’s right – the nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, and the iron in our blood…these were all made in the interiors of collapsing stars.
7. Otters hold hands whilst they sleep, to prevent them from drifting apart.
8. We have less crime, a lower death rate and longer life expectancy than any other time in history.
9. Today – someone, somewhere out there, is having THE BEST day of their life.
10. When we die, our bodies decompose and break down into atoms that go back into the earth. Our presence here on earth is eternal.
11. Like puppies? When male puppies play with female puppies, they will intentionally let the female puppies win.
12. It takes forty-three muscles to frown – seven to smile.
13. We will all someday die; however, this makes us the lucky ones – as it means we got the chance to LIVE.
14. The voice of Mickey Mouse (Wayne Allwine) and Minnie Mouse (Russie Taylor) was married in real life.
15. The vast majority of European children born in 2013 will live to see the year 2100.
16. Right now, someone, somewhere, is falling in love.
17. Cows produce the most milk when listening to the hit ‘Everybody Hurts’ by REM.
18. The odds of you being born were 1 in 40 million, yet your ancestors have successfully had children up until you.
19. On the day of his assassination,
Martin Luther King Jr. had a pillow fight in his motel room.
20. When you were born, you were – if only for seconds – the youngest person on the planet.
21. Cows have best friends.
22. Norway once knighted a penguin.
23. The man who is the voice behind Winnie-the-Pooh still phones children in the cancer wards of hospitals, to tell them in Pooh’s voice how much he loves them and how brave they are.
24. ‘Google’, the periodic table and the structure of our DNA are all ideas that were conceived in dreams.
25. Blind people still smile, even though they’ve never seen anybody else's smile.
26. For every person you’ve made eye contact with, you’ve played a part of their life-story – if even for a millisecond.
27. Every year the Netherlands sends 20,000 tulip bulbs to Canada to thank them for their aid in the Second World War.
28. Otters have a pocket in their skin for their favorite pebble.
29. Space travel…horseless carriages…long-distance communication…we are living the future people once dreamed of.
30. Only 10% of your happiness comes from external circumstances. The other 90% is all you.