Will It Matter To Me In 10 Years Time? Look To The Future With Optimism
Sometimes, it can be all too easy to feel as though everything is going wrong. You are rushed off your feet, are having restless nights and it seems that in every area of your life things are beginning to take a turn for the worst.
Rather than these things being a result of a huge catastrophe or life-altering event, all too often we find ourselves in this energy-less, anxious, and stressed-out state from the everyday ‘little things’ that we are continually fighting to control.
A snide remark from a colleague, a misplaced document, forgetting a birthday, an overdue haircut – we all know the saying ‘don’t sweat the small stuff’, but do we ever really take this saying to heart?
Think back to ten years ago – there were undoubtedly a countless number of things that you stressed and made yourself ill over.
Do any of these things matter to you now? The answer is, probably not. You can’t travel back in time to warn your younger self, that the things they are wasting their time worrying about are the things that turned out to be not so important.
But what you can do is change your future, by no longer wasting energy worrying about the things that will not mean a thing to you or your happiness in ten years’ time.
Will It Matter To Me In 10 Years' Time?
I am going to give you some examples of what you should maybe stop worrying about so much and some other examples of things that are worth paying more attention to. It can be quite hard to put this into practice, especially in certain situations.
If you can become more aware and recognize that some things may not be worth your stress or worry. Next time you are feeling stressed or upset about a certain situation, ask yourself the question ‘Will it matter to me in 10 years' time?', and usually, the answer will be no.
Here are just 12 examples of some of the things that would probably be of no importance to you in 10 years’ time:
1. That rejection letter (job/romantic/creative – give it what meaning you will)
2. The size of your jeans.
3. That spelling mistake you made in a work email.
4. The shade of red you turned when you bumped into your ex.
5. That disappointing exam result. (Note – Exams never turn out to be as much of a life or death situation as your parents and teachers will try to tell you.)
6. That hurtful remark from a passer-by.
7. The cleanliness of your kitchen (unless it is in need of being cordoned off with yellow tape and declared a hazardous zone – in which case you might not live to see the next 10 years!)
8. Your haircut.
9. Putting red socks in with the whitewashing.
10. Embarrassing yourself at your works’ Christmas party.
11. The end of your romantic relationship.
12. Choosing that slice of cake over an apple.
These are just a mere handful of distractions that people spend their time worrying about. But ask yourself, how much time do you think you will spend thinking about these things in 10 years’ time? I would imagine, not a lot.
So, knowing how unimportant and non-constructive these things can actually be to you in 10 years’ time, do you really still believe that they warrant the amount of time and stress that you are currently investing in them?
It’s time to stop picking small fights and instead, look ahead to the bigger battle!
In comparison, here are 12 things that should stay important to you in 10 years’ time:
1. The goals that you set.
2. Your long-term eating habits.
4. The number of times you tell your parents/spouse/children how much you love them.
5. The company you keep (remember – we become who we surround ourselves with!)
6. The extra time you commit to something you are passionate about.
7. Your opinion of yourself. (Find out why only your opinion really matters).
8. The new skills that you develop.
9. Time invested in yourself; meditating, relaxing, painting your nails, watching the sport, reading a book.
10. The precious, one-off moments you create with the people that you love.
11. Being good to the people around you.
12. The dreams that you chase.
So, which will it be? Are you still sure that your library book fine or your neighbor’s opinion of you is worth the energy and time that you spend worrying about it? Or would you rather be investing that time and energy into something more constructive to your life’s happiness?
In 10 years’ time, you will have nothing to show for these menial worries – other than stress-related problems and premature wrinkles. So remember – don’t sweat the small stuff and when in doubt, ask yourself the all-important question – ‘will this matter to me in ten years’ time?’
Your answer can tell you everything that you need to know.
Use these techniques to visualize your ideal future today…
It can be hard to stay optimistic at times, especially if you are going through tough times at the present moment. However, when using the Law of Attraction you can always use tools and techniques to help you work towards living your ideal life.
If you are familiar with the Law of Attraction, then you may know that visualization plays a big part in achieving your dream life. These tools include visualization; you can learn to visualize your ideal future and design your own life. This can really help you when it comes to planning your goals and aspirations, and then actually working to achieve them.