How To Open Your Crown Chakra – A Beginners Guide
Chakras are often discussed in relation to healing, meditation, and alternative medicine. But what is a chakra, and what should you be trying to do with yours?
It’s tempting to give up before you even get started because the terminology can sound mystical and complex. The good news is that opening your crown chakra doesn't have to be that difficult, and even learning the most basic techniques can be wonderful for both body and mind.
As part of a beginner’s guide to chakras, this particular article will teach you about the crown chakra. You’ll learn all about how to locate it, how to find out whether it’s blocked, and how to keep it balanced in your everyday life.
All chakras are important in their own right, and a better understanding of your chakras will be especially good for your spirituality.
What Is a Chakra? Crown Chakra Meaning and Location
As a precursor to looking at how to maintain an open crown chakra, let’s take a closer look at the system of chakras more broadly.
So, what are the 7 chakras? They are all energy centers that are evenly dispersed throughout your body.
Each of them is aligned with different faculties and different body parts. When you learn how to balance your chakras, you keep these powerful energy sources in a receptive, stable condition.
This promotes feelings of health, happiness, and confidence. In contrast, when you have an imbalance and one or more chakras are blocked, you may feel unwell and emotionally low.
Crown Chakra Information Summary
- Physical Location: The top of the head.
- Color: Violet.
- Element: Thought.
- Associated Animal: Eagle
- Emotional Issues and Behaviors of Blocked Crown Chakra: If your Chakra has been disturbed, you might not see much beauty in the world at all. You may also feel spirituality adrift and experience symptoms of depression. If you’re only starting to develop this type of block, you might just notice a decline in overall excitement or motivation. Physically, a blocked Crown Chakra can also occur at the same time as problems with physical coordination or chronic headaches.
Balancing Chakras: What Is The Crown Chakra Responsible For?
The crown chakra (or Sahasrara chakra) is the seventh chakra, and it sits at the very top of your head. This particular chakra’s meaning is all about spiritual connectivity.
Often referred to as the “thousand petal lotus” chakra, it is the highest chakra and its openness can impact on (or be influenced by) anything on the following list:
- How much beauty you can see in the world around you
- Your excitement levels
- Motivation to reach goals
- Whether you have a restful sleep
- Your ability to find peace
- Your self-worth
When your crown chakra is properly aligned and fully open, you will experience a lot of pleasure in life. You’ll feel grateful, alive and like your days are full of joy. With regular crown chakra healing exercises, you can enhance your spiritual awareness and begin to enjoy the little moments of the beauty life has to offer.
On the other hand, when you’re afflicted with a crown chakra blockage you’re likely to experience troubling crown chakra symptoms. As a result, you can become disillusioned, bored, melancholy, and restless.
Symptoms of a Blocked Crown Chakra
It’s normal to need crown chakra healing from time to time. Even experts don’t have a permanently open crown chakra!
That said, as soon as you learn how to cope with a crown chakra imbalance, you can reduce the long-term impact of a blockage and get back to feeling good as soon as possible. The crown chakra can produce different symptoms depending on excessive or insufficient activity.
The following are symptoms of an overactive crown chakra:
- Disconnecting from your spirituality
- Self-destructive tendencies
Meanwhile, the following are common symptoms of an underactive crown chakra:
- Confusion about what you want to do
- Lack of inspiration
- Desire to oversleep
The crown chakra’s meaning is also connected to physical symptoms. Among them are the following:
- Poor coordination
- Chronic tension headaches
Your Sahasrara chakra can become blocked in a wide range of scenarios, so there is no foolproof way to know when its alignment is in jeopardy.
However, common things that block the crown chakra include mid-life crises (such as reevaluating your job or relationship), negative feedback on things that are sources of pride for you, and conflicted family relationships.
No matter the cause of your blockage, you can learn how to unblock chakras in a simple, straightforward way.
Chakra Healing: How To Open And Unblock Your Crown Chakra
Now you know the answer to the question “what is the crown chakra?”, we can look at the best chakra exercises for the Sahasrara.
There are more advanced techniques that you can learn in time if you wish to. However, the simplest is often the most effective.
When exploring how to balance chakras for beginners, you’ll likely discover exercises that will serve you well for years to come.
We’ll focus on four in particular, all of which are easily incorporated into everyday life and require no special training.
While all can be performed on their own, you’ll also see useful opportunities to combine exercises. For example, stones can be used in meditation practice, and yoga can be performed while saying affirmations.
1. Use Crown Chakra Stones And Jewelry For Healing
According to the standard chakra colors test, the crown chakra is associated with violet. However, it also has links to clear stones and crystals.
When it comes to using chakra stones for healing, you have plenty of flexibility. You can wear crown chakra stones in necklaces, earrings, and bracelets, but you can also simply hold them or place them in a prominent place. As long as they’re to symbol crown chakra work, they can help you align and open the crown chakra.
To start with, try any one or more of these crown chakra crystals:
- Clear quartz: A crystalline mineral linked to enhancing energy, you can use clear quartz to boost your spiritual attunement. It is a particularly good choice when you’re looking to get more clarity on what you want from life.
- Sugilite: Sometimes known as a love stone, this lavender crystal is better used for spiritual grounding and for guarding you against negativity.
- Selenite: Another mostly clear mineral, selenite is a lovely stone that is said to help open not only the crown chakra but also the third eye chakra. It can be useful in pushing you past stagnation and in propelling you forward.
2. Crown Chakra Meditation And Yoga Techniques
All meditation practices are good for keeping the seven chakras open and aligned. Meditation promotes self-awareness, emotional regulation, and relaxation. In addition, there are chakra meditation techniques for beginners that target each chakra.
Here are the steps you need to go through a simple crown chakra meditation:
- Get comfortable, sitting with your back straight and your feet on the floor.
- Put your hands in your lap and turn your palms to the sky. This position is called the “mudra” and helps you receive energy.
- Shut your eyes and inhale through your nose, exhaling through your mouth.
- Imagine a lotus at the top of your head. As you continue to breathe slowly and evenly, see the lotus petals unfurling to show you a bright violet light—the crown chakra color.
- Picture the light getting brighter and brighter, warming the crown of your head.
- Let that warmth spread downwards throughout your whole body.
- After 5-10 minutes, open your eyes and sit quietly for a few minutes.
In addition, crown chakra yoga techniques include the following poses: the plow, the supported headstand, and the seated lotus position. If you don’t already know how to do these, simple picture guides can easily be found with a quick search.
3. Chakra Foods List And Diet Suggestions
The most famous chakra foods are natural, wholesome foods that promote general well-being. Think of fresh and organic vegetables and fruits, brown rice, brown bread, and hearty broths, for example. All such foods help to bring your energy centers into alignment.
Meanwhile, when you’re paying attention to one chakra above the others, it’s useful to look to foods that have a traditional connection with that chakra.
For the crown chakra, all of the following ingredients help to keep it open and receptive:
- Violet foods: Eggplant and red grapes are good examples, as they’re in tune with the main color of the crown chakra. Passionfruit is another excellent option.
- Ginger: This spice is said to have cleansing benefits, and it can help to promote spiritual clarity.
- Herbal teas: On a similar theme of clarity, herbal teas can reduce blockages in the crown chakra. Peppermint is probably the best option, and it has the added bonus of promoting health in your digestive system.
It’s also worth noting that since the crown chakra is purely spiritual, some experts think the absence of certain foods can be more important than presence. So, any time you cut back on fatty or sugary foods that contain empty calories, you’re helping to heal your crown chakra.
4. Crown Chakra Affirmations To Use
Finally, if you aren’t already saying daily affirmations then now is a great time to start!
Affirmations are a well-known technique for balancing the chakras. All of them aim to boost confidence, and since the crown chakra is connected to self-esteem then it is standard to reason that affirmations generally promote an open crown chakra.
In addition, think about adding some of the following crown chakra affirmations to your daily routine:
- “I am constantly connected to my highest self.”
- “We are all on this earth to make a difference.”
- “I am attuned to the divine energy of the universe.”
- “I know my own spiritual truth and I live in accordance with it.”
- “Today I am open to divine guidance.”
- “I see the beauty in the world and I embrace it.”
- “Lovingly, I emit light that attracts others who will bring love into my life.”
- “I am love, I am light, and I am joy.”
- “I am at one with the world around me.”
- “Right now, I am confident, happy, and sure of my worth.”
Affirmation use has a lot to do with personal preference, so feel free to try saying your affirmations are at different times of the day.
For example, you might find that saying them before work sets you up for a positive day, or you may feel that reciting them before bed ensures a peaceful night’s sleep.